The Science for Africa (SFA) Foundation recognises that successful science projects require materials and consumables to deliver on their proposed goals. SFA Foundation also appreciates that materials and consumables requested for will vary from project to project depending on the research questions. The purpose of this policy, therefore, is to ensure that science projects funded by SFA Foundation have got adequate materials and consumables to successfully deliver on their proposed goals.
2.0 Policy Statement
Consumable supplies must be safeguarded and managed in order to prevent excessive spending and loss.
- SFA Foundation will meet the directly incurred costs of materials and consumables required to carry out the proposed research, including:
- Laboratory chemicals and materials (e.g. reagents, isotopes, peptides, enzymes, antibodies, gases, proteins, cell/tissue/bacterial culture, plasticware and glassware);
- Materials needed for clinical studies and field work
- Associated charges for shipping, delivery and freight.
3.0 Grantee Obligations
- Projected costs should be embedded within the submitted budget in the grant application as direct costs.
- All requests must be itemised and scientifically justified.
- A breakdown of costs should be provided.
- Costs should be quoted exclusive of VAT or other purchase taxes, unless zero-rating cannot be obtained.
Related policies: Policy on Assets and Equipment
For any queries on this policy, please contact [email protected]