Science for Africa (SFA) Foundation expects its grant holders to manage their grant within the funding awarded. But in unusual circumstances, small amounts of supplemental funding may be requested to assure adequate completion of the original scope of work. SFA Foundation will only consider supplementing grants in the following circumstances:
2.1 Maternity/paternity/adoption leave
To meet additional costs resulting from maternity / paternity / adoption leave and sick leave;
2.2 Increases to Students’ Salaries
- ) SFA Foundation will normally abide by the terms and conditions of the grant holders employing institution regarding maternity/paternity/adoption leave and sick leave and pay;
- ) SFA Foundation will provide the actual costs incurred by the employing institution in meeting the individual’s salary for the period they are on leave;
- ) SFA Foundation will also consider requests for supplements to cover the direct research costs (such as research staff and expenses) incurred due to the grant holder taking maternity / paternity / adoption leave and sick leave;
- ) Supplementation for maternity/paternity/adoption leave support is only provided once SFA Foundation receives confirmation from the employing institution that the individual is returning to work;
- ) Funds will be paid during the period of sick leave, if claims are submitted. These may be used to continue to pay the individual (in accordance with the terms and conditions of the employing institution), and/or to fund a replacement.
The increase to student salary may arise from promotions, regrading or career breaks.
2.3 Personal Allowances for SFA Foundation-funded Researcher
Where SFA Foundation-funded researcher is working overseas, personal allowances associated with the post (e.g. personal freight costs, medical insurance, housing, etc.) may also be supplemented. Refer to the SFA Foundation Policy on Recruitment and Relocation Costs.
SFA Foundation will consider supplementation where local inflation rates over the duration of the grant have increased the actual costs of the research to the extent that funding provided via the inflation allowance is not sufficient to meet actual costs.
2.5 Severe Currency Depreciation
In the event of severe currency depreciation against locally awarded currency over the duration of the grant; where the research activities would be jeopardized.
2.6 Open access publishing costs
To meet the open access charges levied by publishers who support the open access model. Refer to the SFA Foundation Open Access Policy for more details.
2.7 Unforeseen Circumstances
For example, a laboratory burning down, flooding, increased animal house charges, prolonged civil strife affecting work programmes, or other compelling circumstances as carefully evaluated by the SFA Foundation programmes team.
SFA Foundation will not provide supplementary funding when the actual costs of employing staff are more than the salary budget.